My back aches, my feet hurt, and my hips can’t take all of this pressure! Who can relate to these glorious pregnancy ailments? Many moms don’t realize the benefits of seeing a chiropractor during pregnancy and after. We are so lucky to have Dr. April to navigate us through those uncomfortable nine months and also post pregnancy. Stay tuned for most guest posts from Dr. April like how to make nursing more comfortable and ways to help prevent “mommy neck”.
Dr. April obtained her Doctorate of Chiropractic in 2007 from Life University. She also holds a bachelor of science in Exercise Sports Science with a concentration in Sports Medicine from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. She is a fellow member of the American Pregnancy Association and the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association.
Dr. April is dedicated to promoting reproductive and pregnancy wellness through education and chiropractic practice. She is certified in Webster Technique, specific to helping pregnant women. Even though she specializes in pregnancy, pediatric patients are a focus. She cares for the entire family! Dads too. Her practice is focused on a wellness lifestyle for the entire family.
So what is Webster Technique?
The Webster technique is a specific chiropractic analysis and diversified adjustment to improve neuro-biomechanical function in the pelvis.
Importance of Neuro-Biomechanical function:
Simply stated, it is the relationship between structure and function of a living being. In relation to the female pelvis and during pregnancy, it is about the body’s response to the increase stress and load as pregnancy progresses. Postural changes occur and the body begins a balancing act.
In the uterus, the surrounding muscles and ligaments balance the growing baby.
Let’s talk about baby positioning for a moment. Every mother would like to connect with their baby and understand what he/she is doing in there. Baby positioning dictates your labor and delivery. Discuss with your provider on knowing position and your options. Your body being in harmony, balanced, and fit can help in babies position.
One way of knowing if you are out of harmony is symptoms. Your bodies send signals telling you if there is a problem. Some of those signals may be pain, numbness, tingling, or swelling.
Chiropractic during pregnancy is not just about pain, just to clarify. It is the most obvious reason, which is why it makes sense to address it first. Another reason to seek out chiropractic is for your well being during pregnancy. Some benefits that moms have claimed are:
Increase in mobility
Decrease pain (neck, mid and low back, hips, and legs)
There are things you can do to help with common complaints as well as positioning. Here are a few.
- Have good posture. A good note to remember is what you are doing the baby is doing too. So avoid reclining (encourages posterior babies), avoid favoring one side or the other when doing anything such as standing, sitting, driving, carrying bags, etc. Sit on a ball this allows for the pelvis and sacrum to be more freely movable and comfortable.
- Be on all fours. This position creates a hammock for the baby and encourages a good position. In this position practice cat/cows, pelvic tilts, and figure-8’s, this allows for hip opening. This is excellent preparation for birth and comfort during pregnancy.
- Exercise! This increases your preparedness for childbirth and getting through it all. Being active keeps your body moving and our bodies are meant to move. Exercise prevents joint stiffness. It allows for decrease weight gain. Exercise allows for increase blood flow that is healthy and can decrease leg swelling.
- Other things to think about and discuss with your partner: Have a good birth team. Ask detailed questions to your provider. Know what kind of birth you want medicate vs. un-medicated. Do you want a water-birth? Does that hospital your doctor is at offer this? Look into having a doula. There are many benefits here. Take classes to prepare. Classes like Bradley Method, Hypnobirthing, Hypnobabies are common. Also look into lactation now. Knowing before baby gets here how to nurse properly will save you some tears post partum. If you have any questions for me in regards to any of this please reach out! I am here to help in any way possible. I can give referrals to doulas, classes to take, lactation specialist to help, providers that are friendly to your desires for a natural birth and water-birth.
Don’t forget to attend one of her MOM, MUNCHKINS & MUFFINS events where you can learn first hand how to improve your pregnancy and post pregnancy wellness. Bring your little one too and they will enjoy story time and a sing along! Follow Dr. Aprils facebook page to stay up to date on events and topics. Visit Dr. April website for more information and details on upcoming events Harmony Atlanta.
* April’s suggestions are fantastic, but before trying any chiropractic treatment, be sure to consult with your obstetrician/ gynecologist or primary care doctor because they may have a very specific reason you should avoid realignment during pregnancy or after.
Read Dr. Aprils newsletter for more information on the benefits of Chiropractic: