Grab a friend who has kids your kids age and start a weekly or bi-monthly family style dinner social tradition. Trust me, it’s a ton of fun for the whole family!
Dinner is ready! As a mom that loves to cook and relishes in home-cooked meals, it is so refreshing to hear those words coming from someone else’s mouth at the end of the day. We have a weekly routine dinner with our family friends. Every Wednesday night, we alternate who is hosting and the host prepares a home-cooked family meal for everyone to enjoy.
I look forward to this night for many reasons.
- I get a break from cooking OR I get a chance to showcase one of my favorite recipes
- No one has to hire a sitter
- The kids play, watch movies, and always have so much fun
- I get to hold a conversation without being asked, “Mommy, is it time to go yet?” Instead, I’m usually asked, “Do we have to leave?”
- We are building memories together as family friends
Here is one of my favorite family style pasta recipes from my DEN to yours. ENJOY!
Big Marty’s Italian Sausage Pasta
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage (remove from casing)
- 1 T butter
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 (16 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 T Italian parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Melt butter and oil in the skillet on med high heat- sautee onion and garlic until transparent and add crushed sausage (without casing).
- Drain drippings, add wine, boil until liquid evaporates. Add tomatoes and simmer 3 minutes.
- BEGIN PREPARING PASTA SEPARATELY per penne pasta package instructions.
- Add cream to sausage mixture and simmer 5 minutes, stir in parsley and parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Pour the sausage sauce on top of the drained and prepared pasta, mix well and serve.