We have a huge obsession with ice cream in our household and ice cream cakes seem to be a birthday staple. This year we decided to play around a bit to create our own ice cream cake recipe and it turned out better than any ice cream cake we’ve EVER bought. So good that we actually ended up making another before the Birthday week came to a close. If you don’t believe it, then try for yourself!
What you’ll need:
- 9 3/8 in. X 9 3/8 in. X 2 3/8 in. foil baking pan. You should be able to find at your local grocery store.
- Carton of Ice cream softened (We #cublove Edy’s Grand)
- Klondike Ice cream sandwiches softened (you will need all 6 in the pack)
- Whipped cream- use a speed mixer to mix a pint of heavy whipping cream with 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Whip until you see soft peaks.
- Hot fudge (We #cublove Smuckers simple delight hot fudge)
- 16 oreos(crushed in a food processor)
- topping of choice for the top (oreos pictured, but you can crush heath bar, snickers, reeses cups)
- parchment paper
- Line pan with parchment paper
- Add a layer of ice cream to the pan- about 1/2 an inch thick (use half the carton)
- Add a layer of whipped cream to the pan (1/3 of the amount-keep in mind you will need to reserve some for another layer and the outside of the cake- refrigerate what you plan to use for the outside of the cake since 2 hrs will pass before you’ll be using it!)
- Place the ice cream sandwiches on top. You may need to cut them in half to make sure you get some in all corners. Once you’ve placed the sandwiches, press down gently so the ice cream comes out the sides and fills any spaces.
- Cover ice cream sandwiches with a layer of whipped cream
- Add a layer of ice cream
- Pour 1/4 cup of melted fudge over the ice cream and swirl around with the ice cream to blend
- Pour crushed oreos on top and press down so it sticks to the ice cream layer
Place in freezer for at least 2 hours
- Remove parchment paper and place on a serving platter or cake stand with oreo side facing down. Spread the cake with the reserved whipped cream to cover the top and all sides. Crush your candy or cookie of choice on top of the cake and drizzle with hot fudge.